Lawrence J. Roberts
Transportation Law Attorney
Lawrence J. Roberts is the founding principal of Roberts & Associates,
located in Coral Gables, Florida. He is admitted to practice in the state
of Florida, and in the federal courts in Florida, Massachusetts, Arizona,
Wisconsin, Colorado and Texas. In addition, Mr. Roberts is admitted to
the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Third, Fifth, Ninth and Eleventh Circuits.
He has also practiced pro hac vice in the federal courts of Maryland,
Virginia, West Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina,
Louisiana, California, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Illinois, New Jersey, New
York, and Puerto Rico, as well as in several Canadian provinces.
Mr. Roberts has lectured extensively to transportation industry and professional
groups. Some of his presentations include:
- Bills of Lading, Loss Prevention Conference Spring Meeting, Orlando, Florida, May, 2004
- Claims Liability Workshop Mock Trial Presentation, Loss Prevention Conference,
Atlanta, Georgia, October, 2002
- New Bill of Lading Provisions, Transportation Loss Prevention and Security
Council Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, May, 1998
- Basics of Cargo Claim Litigation, Southern Motor Carriers Freight Claim
Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, October, 1997
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Southern Motor Carriers Freight Claim Conference,
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, March, 1997
- Pre-Litigation Claims Investigation, Southern Motor Carriers Freight Claim
Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, October, 1996
- Effective Client Representation, Transportation Lawyers Association Annual
Conference, Asheville, North Carolina, May, 1996
- Litigating Claims in the 90's, Southern Motor Carriers Freight Claim
Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, March, 1996
- NAFTA and The Industry, Southern Motor Carriers Freight Claim Conference,
Atlanta, Georgia, October, 1995
- Federal Preemption, National Freight Claim and Security Council Annual
Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada, March, 1995
- Cargo Claims, NAFTA and Mexico, Trucking Industry Defense Association Annual
Seminar, St. Louis, Missouri, October, 1994
- Intermodalism's Impact on Claims Litigation, National Freight Claim
and Security Council Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, April, 1994
- Bills of Lading - Common Law vs. Contract Carriage, Southern Motor Carriers
Freight Claim Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina, October, 1993
- Claim Liability in the 21st Century, Southern Motor Carriers Freight Claim
Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, April, 1993.
Mr. Roberts is also the author of "Corporations in Receivership"
- Florida Corporations Law and Practice, Matthew Bender & Co. (1985).
In addition to lecturing, Mr. Roberts is active in many industry and professional
groups, including Transportation Lawyers Association, Association for
Transportation Law, Logistics and Policy, Loss Prevention Conference of
Southern Motor Carriers (President 1999-2000), Conference of Freight Counsel
(Chairman 1994-1996), and Transportation Loss Prevention and Security Council.
Mr. Roberts has won many
federal court rulings which are favorable to the transportation industry, both at the trial
and appellate levels, most notably in the areas of federal preemption
of state law claims, limitations of liability, carrier salvage rights,
and enforcement of timely claim filing requirements.
Mr. Roberts and his firm have been awarded the AV rating from noted publisher
Martindale-Hubbell, the authoritative resource for information on the
worldwide legal profession. "The Martindale-Hubbell AV rating indicates
very high to preeminent legal ability and very high ethical standards
as established by confidential opinions from members of the Bar."
In 2015, he was selected as a Top Rated Lawyer by South Florida's
Legal Leaders based on his Martindale-Hubbell status, a distinction that
was published in